3 lb flour
1 ½ lb sugar
1 egg well beaten
½ litre water
3 oz bicarbonate of soda
3 oz yeast
A pinch of salt
3 oz margarine broken into chunks
1 lb flour to sprinkle
2 litres oil
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 1lb of the sugar to the flour and mix in.
3. Add the beaten egg.
4. Heat the water to luke warm and add the bicarbonate of soda and yeast. Use your hands to mix into a smooth paste.
5. Add this yeast paste to the first bowl and bind the whole mixture together using your hands.
6. Add the salt, the rest of the sugar and the margarine pieces to the mix.
7. Kneed the dough until it is springy and light. Leave it to rest for 15 minutes when it will grow dramatically!
8. Prepare a clean surface for rolling out the donuts. You will need to sprinkle with flour to ensure the dough does not stick. Take a handful at a time and roll out and cut with a cup and a small bottle top to take out the centre.
To cook the donuts you will need a large wok or frying pan where you can deep fry a few at a time. You will need to keep the oil levels up and ensure that no pieces of broken donut stay in the oil (otherwise they will burn).
Deep fry the donuts for a few minutes on each side until they are golden and then immediately put into a bowl of sugar to coat and set aside in a bowl.
I think you will agree that these donuts are absolutely amazing, plus you can have a lot of fun cooking them!